Botox and Xeomin FAQ
How does it work?
Neuromodulators, or Botox and Xeomin, are prescription medicines that are injected into muscles in order to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. When you smile, frown or make other facial expressions the muscles contract under the skin. The consistent movement of those muscles draws the skin together and causes it to become less elastic. The result turns into frown lines and wrinkles. When injected into muscles, the medicine blocks nerve impulses from activating the muscles, so the skin above may appear relaxed.
There are two types of wrinkles: static and dynamic. The static wrinkles are present with or without movement of the underlying muscles. These are the wrinkles that may or may not get improvement with injections. Dynamic wrinkles appear with muscle movement and improve with muscle relaxation, so in some cases with repeated treatments the wrinkle can actually disappear.
Dynamic wrinkles in the upper portion of the face respond well to injections and they enable us to raise and shape the eyebrows, a process also called a chemical brow lift. This procedure gives a pretty, winged look that many professional models and movie stars have.
Botox and Xeomin work only when they are injected and then absorbed into the muscle, which is why it works so well around the eyes and forehead area. They can be used on the lower part of the face to lessen the look of dimpled chins, neck bands, drooping noses, bulging jaw muscles and fine lines around the lips.
What can I expect?
The treatments are quick and most people do not require any anesthesia for pain. The entire procedure only takes about 15-30 minutes with no recovery time. There are very few side effects and you will be able to resume normal activities immediately following the injection. The results may vary but most people see an improvement within three to five days. The effect usually lasts three to five months. Repeated treatments can lead to longer lasting effects.
How is Dr. Roberts different?
There are a few things we do differently here to give you the best possible results along with the most comfortable experience.
1) We use a much smaller sized needle to do the injections compared to the size most often used by others. The special small needles are more expensive, but they reduce bruising and cause much less discomfort.
2) We concentrate the medicine as much as possible to make the injections as small as possible. This reduces swelling and bruising while increasing the comfort level. We do not dilute our Botox or Xeomin like some other clinics.
3) We keep a record of the exact amount and the precise location of each injection. This way, if you love the result, we can reproduce it. If there is a problem with the effect, we can adjust the position and amount of medicine we use to give you a better result on your follow up treatments.
4) Your injections will always be performed by a physician or professional technician.
5) Our staff will give you important after care instructions about sun exposure, lotions or other procedures to ensure that your activities prolong, not impair, the effect of your treatment.
If you are ready to enhance your health and appearance by considering a Botox or Xeomin treatment, please feel free to schedule a consultation. The cost of your initial evaluation is applied toward any aesthetic treatment you choose.